Hello F5 Community -
I'm hoping to pick your big brains about troubleshooting an issue I'm having with the BIG-IP LTM. Forgive my ignorance, as I have not taken any of the F5 courses on the subject aside from the very introductory ones.
Issue: When I access the website directly, that is http://sitename - things work as expected. But when I access it by the VIP I created (I change my hosts file to point to the VIP so I can send the correct URL through the browser) - it works for 95% of the site. However, when I click on a PDF file (that lives on the web server, not the backend database the site uses) - Adobe Acrobat Reader complains that "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired." Using the statistics portion of the VIP, I can confirm that I'm transferring data over it.
The only discernable difference being the introduction of the F5 unit, and how it behaves like a proxy server.
How I'm configured
* VIP is on the same subnet as the web server
* Web server is NOT configured to use the F5 as its Gateway
* Thus I have taken this to mean that I need to either use a SNAT or Automap
* I am currently using Automap
* Standard Traffic Type
* Source is 0.0.0.0/0
* Service port: 80 (everything is unencrypted)
* TCP Profile: tcp
* HTTP Profile: http
* SNAT: Automap
* Content rewrite: None for both Rewrite and HTML
* Acceleration: all set to None for troubleshooting
* Pool - just contains 1 server
* Persistence: none
* iRules: _http_x_forwarded_for_insert
* I added this, thinking it would help with the SNAT, but removing it does nothing
I'm trying to keep it as vanilla as possible, just to get it working.
Another thing, although these PDF files are hosted on the server, they are being served up as a ASPX call rather than a direct link.
Thank again for your time, guys.
It has to do with the way files are chunked when downloaded, and most web-based applications don't really account for this in the standard manner.
Workaround: In the HTTP profile for that virtual server, change Response Chunking to Rechunk and try again.