URL             /natural-language-url-1
Body            185
Caching         private
Content-Type    text/html; charset=utf-8
Process         chrome:7516
Comments
Custom  

NOTE 1 : on vip-01, Source Address Translation = Auto-Map

NOTE 2 : I have complete control over the web-server ( remote access with ability to modify configuration, run diagnostics, perform local tests, etc. )

NOTE 3 : The web-server expects the request to include the domain. Sending a request with host = {web-server-host-name} , or host = {web-server-ip} will throw an error because IIS will be unable to locate the virtual app.

What are some debugging techniques I can deploy to further diagnose the underlying cause of the redirect loop ?

28 Replies

• From the command line, type:

ifconfig    

This will show you all of the interfaces on the system. If for example you've named the internal VLAN "internal", then you can actually use this VLAN name in tcpdump.

tcpdump -lnni internal -Xs0    

If you wanted to show traffic from all interfaces, you can use 0.0

tcpdump -lnni 0.0 -Xs0

As for additional filters, assuming you have other traffic on the internal VLAN that you want to not see, you can add filters to the tcpdump to limit what you capture. So for example, if the web server is listening on port 80 and its IP address is 10.10.10.1, a tcpdump with additional filtering might look like this:

tcpdump -lnni internal -Xs0 host 10.10.10.1 and port 80    

The -Xs0 option will dump the layer 7 payload to the screen, so you'll be able to see a 302 response if it is in fact coming from the web server.

John_Alam_45640
    Historic F5 Account

Looking at the response from curl command, the server header says "Microsoft iis". That pretty much guarantees that it is the server that is sending the 302 redirect.

If the bigip sent a 302, the server header would have been "BIGIP". unless it is configured to masquerade as an iis server which I don't think you did.

• Good catch John. So BaltoStar you should definitely see the 302 coming from the web server, which now of course begs the question, why? Is there ANYTHING configured in IIS or the application itself that could do this? Specifically, what conditions might the web server or asp.net be configured to issue a redirect? Given that the layer 7 HTTP requests are virtually identical, can it not like the source address? Do you see any differences in the HTTP request on the client side of the F5 and on the server side, as in the F5 may be altering the request along the way? You'd see this in your internal tcpdump. Is there otherwise anything different between a direct request and the proxied request other than the source address? If you were to stand up a simple generic web page in IIS, can you get it through the F5?