Forum Discussion

francisco_1_162
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Feb 12, 2008

BIGIP (LTM/GTM) Automated Backup

Just a quick question guys, is it possible to automate the backup configuration for the BIGIP. I have read a doc on askf5 to manaually backup and restore config's but i dont have time to do that. Please advise.

28 Replies

• !/bin/bash
    host=`echo $HOSTNAME | awk -F. '{ print $1 }'`
    date=`date +%Y%m%d`
    /usr/bin/tmsh save /sys ucs backup_${host}_${date}.ucs
    /usr/bin/find /var/local/ucs -name backup_${host}_\*.ucs -mtime +30 -exec rm {} \;

Save the above to a new file called /config/mybackup and add the following line to /config/startup.

[ ! -L /etc/cron.daily/mybackup ] && ln -s /config/mybackup /etc/cron.daily/mybackup

Now run the following commands to complete the configuration.

chmod +x /config/mybackup
    ln -s /config/mybackup /etc/cron.daily/mybackup

Kevin_Davies_40
      Icon for Nacreous rankNacreous
      The mybackup script should carry over to an upgraded config and be stored in a UCS archive. If for any reason the symbolic link goes away the command in /config/startup will recreate it. The find will remove any backups older than thirty days. Just check the backup size as 30 of them may take up too much space.
      Viv_Richards
      Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus

Dear Kevin,

I am trying to configure automated backup by following above script. Could you please confirm where backup will be stored in this case ? /etc/cron.daily/mybackup is not directory

Thanks

Samir_Jha_52506
      Icon for Noctilucent rankNoctilucent

Find the below details

mybackup --> Script file Name & it store inside /config/ Directory
          /var/local/ucs  --> backup file will be store

• Hello,

Hello, when I generate an automatic backup it shows me this error when I execute the script:

Error, invalid characters in UCS file name. The dash, period, forward-slash, plus sign, and underscore are the only special characters allowed.

What is the problem?

Thank's

• here's a python script i wrote that will create a text backup or download a ucs. i use the text backup to submit to git in order to track changes, and the ucs backup run via cron once a day for a ucs backup. run the script and it will print usage for you.

https://github.com/nambrosch/misc-scripts/blob/master/f5backup.py

you'll need f5's bigsuds module v1.0.4 or newer.. it can be installed using

sudo pip install bigsuds
    or downloads here:

https://github.com/F5Networks/bigsuds

hope this helps!

• There is an extra feature you can add to your daily backup, it's committing your bigip.conf to a GIT or a SVN so you can keep track of the changes that have been done, with your favorite repo browser (sourceTree for instance :)