Forum Discussion

Meena_Agnihotri
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 20, 2015

Can't ping active LTMs self ip or floating ip

I have two 2000s (F5a and F5b) in an active/standby configuration. TMOS version = 11.5.2HF1

There are 2 VLANs. Internal, External, HA. My problem is on the internal vlan.

On the internal-vlan,

F5a-self-ip = .163 F5b-self-ip = .164 Floating-ip = .161

From the upstream L3 switches, I can ping .164 but cannot ping .163 or .161

When I force F5a to standby, the problem reverses. Now I can ping .163 but not .164 or .161

It appears I can only ping the standby unit's self ip. The other two do not respond.

On the external VLAN, everything pings fine.

Anybody have any thoughts on what may be occuring here?

port-lockdown is set to allow all.

Thanks!!

8 Replies

• I have the same challenge. i can not ping the internal floating ip or the selfip of the active unit with two LTM 2000S in HA. Even if it is an F5 security system. how to disable this feature because my client want to be able to ping those ip.

Thanks

• I'm experiencing the same issue where I can't ping the active or floating IP and only standby IP is pingable. The issue is reversed when I failed over. The response provided above is not relevant as I'm pinging from a host in the same vlan and the fact that it is reachable to the standby self IP shows that there's no network issue. Does anyone know how to fix the problem. Thanks

• Yes..That kb is correct. You cannot block icmp traffic to BIGIP which is by default allowed in BIGIP for within same VLAN.

cchen_185811

Thanks for your prompt reply. Would you know how I can get ping to work on the Active node? and not just on the Standby node?

Richard_Tocci_7
      Historic F5 Account

This behavior is by design. When you try to ping a SelfIP on an interface that is not the interface you are originating from, it won't work on the Active device. You can ping the standby because, once you get back there, the Active device knows where to find that IP.

I'm not sure there is ever value in trying to ping the inside interface of the device like this. I've never seen a convincing use case.

san2hosh_306591

I have the similar issue. where I can ping the non-floating address of the standby. But I cannot ping floating address on standby and all self-IP's in the active one. Any help.