Forum Discussion

Hamish
Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus
Sep 12, 2012

Citirx Remote Desktop Icons when using XMLBroker...

Has anyone customised their citrix remote desktop icons on 11.2 when using direct access to an XML Broker rather than a citrix web interface?

CWI puts proper windows icons on everything. My users are complaining because of the generic application icons served up (Admittedly, they have a point. It's a lot harder trying to find an app on the F5 remote desktop rather than the citrix web interface one).

Looking through the icons available in the customisation, APM only has one generic application icon defined, which is the one used... And yes, it's browser independent as you'd expect.

H

16 Replies

Hamish
    Posted By Hamish on 09/26/2012 03:45 AM

Sigh... Refreshing the page also pops up the login requester...

Because CitrixPackageManager.state isn't being set... Because it's null, the javascript doesn't think the remotedesktop was finished... So it popups up the login requester again...

Another known issue? or local config problem?

• I don't believe there is any other way to communicate with the XML broker other than the POST commands. Since every request to the XML broker has to be authenticated, and there are no cookies used, etc. they all have to be POST. We are looking into improving icons cacheability and performance on the webtop though.

Hamish
    Improvement would be good. Having the JavaScript on the client query icons in parallel and prioritising icons actually in view would be a good start...

In our setup, there's 13 folders and 11 apps in view... Unfortunately APM downloads the icons for the apps in the folders first. Which means you sit & watch default icons for about 20 seconds before the 11 visible apps update 1 at a time (Over 3-4 seconds more). If the VISIBLE icons were updated FIRST you wouldn't notice the apps in folders hadn't been updated yet because they're not yet visible.

Strange that the XML-Broker only accepts POST... Since there's no real difference betwen POST and GET except GET's can usually be cached and POST's almost always can't.

H
  • In our setup, there's 13 folders and 11 apps in view... Unfortunately APM downloads the icons for the apps in the folders first. Which means you sit & watch default icons for about 20 seconds before the 11 visible apps update 1 at a time (Over 3-4 seconds more). If the VISIBLE icons were updated FIRST you wouldn't notice the apps in folders hadn't been updated yet because they're not yet visible.

Thanks for the suggestion, I see your point. Feel free to request F5 Support to provide a fix for ID399148.

I agree that the current implementation for icon handling is far from ideal but this is what will be definitely improved. All icons will be requested as normal images, thus in most cases they will be served from the local browser cache.

• Because CitrixPackageManager.state isn't being set... Because it's null, the javascript doesn't think the remotedesktop was finished... So it popups up the login requester again...

I've never seen this before. I refresh the Webtop page, and it works just fine. Could you please elaborate? Looks like a bug...

Andrey_Terentye
    Historic F5 Account
    Posted By Hamish on 09/26/2012 04:19 AM

Posted By Hamish on 09/26/2012 03:45 AM

Sigh... Refreshing the page also pops up the login requester...

Because CitrixPackageManager.state isn't being set... Because it's null, the javascript doesn't think the remotedesktop was finished... So it popups up the login requester again...

Another known issue? or local config problem?

Hello Hamish,

It has nothing to do with CitrixPackageManager.state. The reason you're getting logon dialog is because ... you refreshed the page.

Since we're not caching Citrix credentials of a user, then we can't show you apps afrer you do the refresh.