Forum Discussion

SV2022
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
Feb 10, 2024
Solved

Difference between SSO under access policy and SSO in VPE

Is that mandatory to have SSO credential mapping via VPE whenever we have SSO created under access policy.

i need to understand the relation between these 2 sso configurations

• The SSO profile attached to a access policy has 2 or 3 variables, session.sso.token.last.username and session.sso.token.last.password (and others, depending on the SSO profile).

These are not created by default in the VPE. The SSO credential mapping agent maps a username variable (most of the times session.logon.last.username, depending on what you select in the agent) into session.sso.token.last.username.
    You could do the same in a variable assign agent, F5 has created the SSO credential mapping to help engineers and to show in the VPE your mapping SSO credentials.

So it is not mandatory.

I hope I makes it a bit more clear.

Cheers,

Kees

5 Replies

• The SSO profile attached to a access policy has 2 or 3 variables, session.sso.token.last.username and session.sso.token.last.password (and others, depending on the SSO profile).

These are not created by default in the VPE. The SSO credential mapping agent maps a username variable (most of the times session.logon.last.username, depending on what you select in the agent) into session.sso.token.last.username.
    You could do the same in a variable assign agent, F5 has created the SSO credential mapping to help engineers and to show in the VPE your mapping SSO credentials.

So it is not mandatory.

I hope I makes it a bit more clear.

Cheers,

Kees

SV2022
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus

thanks for crystal clear answer.. 

1 more question is that mandatory to have the VPE edited (not leaving to default) for all APM polcies ?.What if i directly assign the values in SSO profile instead of session.sso.token.last.username example uername :ABCD paswrd:efgh .do i need to configure VPE here (not leaving to default) as i already have the values.

• Your welcome.

I think it is best to have static variable values in the VPE. You could assign the username and password for session.sso.token.last.username and session.sso.token.last.password in a variable assign agent. Also setting the password to secure so it is not readable in logging.

• Correct, you need to modify the VPE. Default is start-> deny. Minimum is start -> allow.
    You could use an SSO polixy/profile for this.