Forum Discussion

EvanRacii
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Jun 15, 2023
Solved

F5 Automatic ISP failover Configuration

Hi ,

We are using f5 as NAT device. We have 2 ISPs connected to F5.

We are now configured with iRule for automatic failover between two ISPs.

when CLIENT_ACCEPTED {
   if { 
    [class match [IP::local_addr] equals "192.168.10.10"]||
    [class match [IP::local_addr] equals "192.168.10.20"]
   } {
   pool " ISP_pool_Telstra "

}
    elseif { 

[class match [IP::local_addr] equals "192.168.10.30"]

} {
   pool "ISP_pool_NTT"

}
else {
snat automap
   }
}

What I want to know is , can we configure automatic ISP failover without using iRule ? If yes can help me how to configure ?

Thank you 

• Hi EvanRacii , 

You mean by word automatic failover that you need to automatically switch between ISPs , 

You can replace your irule by local traffic policy it more easier than irules and good for performance. 

So search on f5 articles about ( overview on LTM politics)

But if you need to use Active / standby scenario on pools or ( isp pools ) , I mean you want an ISP carries the whole of your traffic but if anything impacted this ISP link you would failover to the second ISP link to carry the whole traffic .... if you need this scenario : I recommend to compine both of isps to be under the same pool and configure what we say in F5 ( priority group activation) it's much effective if you want to make one or more pool members active while the other or others standby. 

Just search on F5 articles about ( overview F5 priority group activation or PGA. 

If I haven't given you some insights , please explain to me more about your design and what you're trying to achieve. 

6 Replies

• Hi EvanRacii , 

You mean by word automatic failover that you need to automatically switch between ISPs , 

You can replace your irule by local traffic policy it more easier than irules and good for performance. 

So search on f5 articles about ( overview on LTM politics)

But if you need to use Active / standby scenario on pools or ( isp pools ) , I mean you want an ISP carries the whole of your traffic but if anything impacted this ISP link you would failover to the second ISP link to carry the whole traffic .... if you need this scenario : I recommend to compine both of isps to be under the same pool and configure what we say in F5 ( priority group activation) it's much effective if you want to make one or more pool members active while the other or others standby. 

Just search on F5 articles about ( overview F5 priority group activation or PGA. 

If I haven't given you some insights , please explain to me more about your design and what you're trying to achieve. 

EvanRacii
      Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus

Hi Mohamed

Thank you so much . Let me try group activation or PGA and get back to you

• Thank you but I want to know if is it possible to configure Active/Standby ISP  failover scenario withour iRule.

It is not possible without above  iRule?