Forum Discussion

swathi_sankabat
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Feb 06, 2019

F5 Caching for static files needs to be turned off

F5 Caching for static files needs to be turned off

File download from the application seems to be cached when using the URL of F5 VIP. but when I access the same download directly from backend server, I get the latest.

I am receiving the latest page/changes when I access through the backend server IP/Hostname, but I am receiving the old page(not replicating recent changes) when I access through F5 VIP.

web acceleration profile is not assigned for that VIP. Please help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks

7 Replies

• Is there a proxy between the client and the Big-IP? If so, that's probably where caching happens and not on the Big-IP itself.

• I would recommend checking the F5's VS. HTTP profile/Web Acceleration profile depending on code version to see if caching is enabled. If you can rule out caching on F5, it could be an intermediate device that is caching the information as noted by comment from Stephane.

• Hello Swathi,

To start, I would try clearing the cache on your LTM, just to make sure it is a problem with caching and not some other issue. If you don't have an acceleration profile configured, I believe there should be no caching on your LTM, but it doesn't hurt to check.

If it didn't already have a caching profile, apply the default one. Then run:

tmsh delete ltm profile ramcache [cprofile name]

For more info on caching on the LTM sytem, you can read F5's article here. Hopefull that will at least get you started in the right direction.

Feel free to ask if you have any follow-up questions,

Austin

swathi_sankabat
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

I didn't receive any cache data for web acceleration profiles still I have ran the below command for each and every web acceleration profile.

is there any way that I can find out the intermediate device that is caching

AMiles_377865
      Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus

If you wanted to prove that it is the intermediate device that is caching the information, you could always route around it/remove it from the architecture. If it works, you know that the intermediate is causing the issue. From a troubleshooting perspective, you would at least prove that it is the proxy doing the caching, and not the BIG-IP.

Of course, it might be easier to just look at the intermediate itself. I don't know what proxy/intermediate device you're using, but there's probably some documentation on caching for it, i.e. if it supports caching, if you can clear the cache on it, etc.