Forum Discussion

chanzk
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Sep 14, 2023
Solved

F5 Rules for AWS WAF - CVE-2021-22118 & CVE-2016-1000027

Hello,

We're checking in the AWS marketplace for the F5 Rules for AWS WAF - Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) Rules and want to check if the following CVEs are covered by this rule set?

• CVE-2021-22118: Local Privilege Escalation within Spring Webflux Multipart Request Handling
  • CVE-2016-1000027: Pivotal Spring Framework through 5.3.16 suffers from a potential remote code execution (RCE) issue if used for Java deserialization of untrusted data.

Thanks.

• Hi chanzk ,

Unlike the full blown WAF security solutions, F5 rules on AWS WAF are limited in total capacity, limiting the types of CVEs we can offer protection against. Normally, F5 rules include protection against CVEs that are common among customers. CVE-2016-1000027 may affect only few, therefore it wasn't included yet. We will add it in our next updates.

CVE-2021-22118 is a local vulnerability, not a network vulnerability. So less relevant for a WAF.

Thanks.

18 Replies

• Hi chanzk ,

Unlike the full blown WAF security solutions, F5 rules on AWS WAF are limited in total capacity, limiting the types of CVEs we can offer protection against. Normally, F5 rules include protection against CVEs that are common among customers. CVE-2016-1000027 may affect only few, therefore it wasn't included yet. We will add it in our next updates.

CVE-2021-22118 is a local vulnerability, not a network vulnerability. So less relevant for a WAF.

Thanks.

chanzk

Hi Joel_Cohen ,

Thanks very much of the information. That is useful. May I know the schedule of next updates that invlude CVE-2016-1000027?

Regards,

chanzk

Hi Joel_Cohen ,

It would be helpful if I could know the schedule of next updates that include CVE-2016-1000027. Thanks.

Regards,

chanzk

Hi whisperer ,

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned, I am using AWS marketplace for the F5 Rules for AWS WAF - Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) Rules. Therefore I do not have access to the BIG-IP ASM/AdvWAF Configuration Utility. Does it mean that it is impossible to check what CVEs are included when subscripting F5 rules from AWS marketplace?

Thanks.

• I really cannot think of a way to a) programmatically via CLI obtain this information from the product, b) nor am I aware of any online based index or search tool for figuring out what version/signature release covers certain CVEs.

If I need a quick answer, I would just run an F5 VE instance on VMware, same BIGIP code and attack signature version, and reference it that way.

I would be very interested in knowing of a better way of doing this. Have you tried to contact an F5 sales engineer or product support?

• Hi chanzk , I've asked the Product Manager for the F5 Rules for AWS WAF to review.

Will let you know what the response is. Thank you

ambrosetse

Hi Joel_Cohen 

I would like to know if the current F5 rules for AWS WAF cover for the following vulnerabilities?
        CVE-2022-22968, CVE-2022-22976, CVE-2022-22970, CVE-2022-22950, CVE-2023-20861 and CVE-2023-20863
        If not, will they include at the future release?

Thanks

Ambrose