Forum Discussion

Greg_130338
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 08, 2015

Fastl4 fwd vs required for network access vs?

I have a Network Access vs and access policy created to give users SSLVPN. However when this was originally done, a forwarding fastl4 VS was also configured to accept traffic from any source and destined for any destination on any port for all VLANS. I disabled this as a test and when VPN'd in I can no longer access anything (internal hosts, Internet, google.com, nothing). Why is this the case? No where in the documentation did I see this was necessary. I'm also concerned this VS is overly permissive. In addition, it seems like the static ACL's I am applying to restrict VPN access to specific internal networks are not working and I'm wondering if the forwarding VS is allowing this traffic to pass. For example, if I apply a static ACL to deny all traffic to the 10.0.0.0/8 network, I am still able to ping all hosts on that network when VPN'd in.

Fwd_vs config: Type: Forwarding IP Source: any Dest Network: any All ports Protocol Profile: fastl4 All VLANS and Tunnels

Access Policy for Network Access: Basically I assign the network access and webtop and for specific groups I assign the static ACL along with them, which are as follows. Allowed: any -> 10.50.1.0/24 Denied: any -> all RFC 1918 networks

The ACL order is correct, matches the order above.

With this configuration I am still able to reach the 10.0.0.0/8 network. A tracert confirms that I am exiting the internal interface of my BigIP and reaching the internal host through the VPN.

So back to it, my question is two-fold. Why do I need a forwarding IP VS and could that be why my static ACL's are not working? Or are they two separate issues?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

No RepliesBe the first to reply