Forum Discussion

ni_67218
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Nov 10, 2012

floating IP and self IP

when I create a floating ip, I get the information "Self IP 3.3.3.3 is declared as a floating address but there is no non-floating address defined for this network"?

why is the system give me the information and why I must configure a Configure the same network segment non-floating IP for a floating ip?

15 Replies

Amnard
    Posted By What Lies Beneath on 11/12/2012 08:34 AM

I'd highly recommend a floating address for any VLAN that is used for Virtual Servers unless clients are on the same VLAN. You wouldn't want to route traffic to the active device non-floating Self IP, if a failover occurred you've lost your service!

Are you talking about the scenario where we use F5 as the gateway for the subnet?

• No. Any scenario where traffic is routed to the F5 (as opposed to hosts on the same LAN just using ARP).
    Amnard
    Posted By What Lies Beneath on 11/12/2012 03:19 PM

No. Any scenario where traffic is routed to the F5 (as opposed to hosts on the same LAN just using ARP).

Fair enough. We don't route any traffic through the F5 except what's passing through VS, so we have no need for it.

I don't want to ask my own questions in someone else's topic, so I will create my own topic regarding F5 ARP behavior.

• How do you actually configure the floating IP address when devices are in active-active setup. Please elaborate.