Forum Discussion

Rob_125924
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Aug 21, 2013

get persistent records returns empty array

Hi, we are using BigIP Version 11.2 and iControl 10.2

Unfortunately the method get_persistent_records on a pool does return only empty array.

LocalLBPersistenceMode[] mode = new LocalLBPersistenceMode[]{LocalLBPersistenceMode.PERSISTENCE_MODE_COOKIE}; LocalLBPersistenceRecord[][] records = m_pool.get_persistence_record(new String[]{pool}, mode);

The pool has persistent cookies enbled, means the browser shows the BIGipServer cookie in the browser when opening the url to the pool.

I have tried it also with all the other modes, but that does not help.

What I´m doing wrong ?

Regards Robert

8 Replies

• Hi Rob,

If you are using Cookie Persistence then the system should not have any persistence records. That information is injected into the cookie and given to the Client.

Try switching our query to PERSIST_MODE_NONE and see what you get, or query a pool with an alternate persistence type that the system does track.

LocalLB::Pool::get_persistence_record

Rob_125924
      You mean iwth cookie persistence there will be never any persistence records ? Is there maybe another possibility to invalidate the persitent cookie ? If I force offline the pool member then enable it again then the same vm is used. How to prevent that ?
  • Hi Rob,

If you are using Cookie Persistence then the system should not have any persistence records. That information is injected into the cookie and given to the Client.

Try switching our query to PERSIST_MODE_NONE and see what you get, or query a pool with an alternate persistence type that the system does track.

LocalLB::Pool::get_persistence_record

Rob_125924
      You mean iwth cookie persistence there will be never any persistence records ? Is there maybe another possibility to invalidate the persitent cookie ? If I force offline the pool member then enable it again then the same vm is used. How to prevent that ?
  • Hi Michael, I get the same result if I use PERSISTENCE_MODE_NONE :-(

• Have you tried running the query against a Pool with a source_addr Persistence?

• you could delete the cookie with an iRule, or force another load balancing attempt. setting the cookie with lower timeout might help somewhat.

there are different forms of cookie persistence, in some you can have the backend server set the cookie. that might help in this scenario.

but with cookie persistence you give away from control.

• Hi, our new solution will be that we will remove the pool member from the pool to prevent direct connection to the member despite the member is added again and disabled. I´m not allowed to change the persistence mode therefore this will be our solution