Forum Discussion

xtoh_99605
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 20, 2016
Solved

good way to document

Hi gurus!

Does anyone know a good way to document configuration in LTM? We have a really large environment and it's quite tedious to manually document every VS, iRule, Pool and so on so I'm looking for a better solution.

The "Network Map" tab is good sometimes but doesn't show every relation etc. The iApp "components" show a really good overview but we barley use that so I'm looking for other options.

I hope you understand what I'm asking.

• For basic requirements, you can create a bash script which invokes

tmsh list
    commands and parses the output according to your preference. Every now and then, execute the script manually, and also manually update the documentation in your corporate Sharepoint (or w/e you have). This is a low-cost solution.

In case of complex requirements where real-time visibility of current config and/or system metrics are required 24/7, no manual solution will work. This is where companies turn to API (REST). Also a front-end component other than F5 must be used (this can be any NIX/Apache server). A Typical F5 visibility automation project from start to finish will cost a company anywhere from 50k-200k USD, regardless if internal employees or external contractors are used for the job.

Also note there are a few iApps and other visibility tools F5 offers for free. One example being the F5 and Splunk Analytics collaboration (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3161/). Before building a custom tool, it's advised to check whether any of the freely available tools cover your needs.

6 Replies

• Depends what you're wanting to document.

I've worked in organisations that simple document Layer 3 Topology - Depicted by Vlans/Subnets etc.

Going to individual configuration items - Good luck! I believe Netbrain is F5 compatible, so might be worth exploring.

If not, its going to be a custom CMDB with customisable fields which needs to be kept up to date...

tmsh list
    commands and parses the output according to your preference. Every now and then, execute the script manually, and also manually update the documentation in your corporate Sharepoint (or w/e you have). This is a low-cost solution.

In case of complex requirements where real-time visibility of current config and/or system metrics are required 24/7, no manual solution will work. This is where companies turn to API (REST). Also a front-end component other than F5 must be used (this can be any NIX/Apache server). A Typical F5 visibility automation project from start to finish will cost a company anywhere from 50k-200k USD, regardless if internal employees or external contractors are used for the job.

Also note there are a few iApps and other visibility tools F5 offers for free. One example being the F5 and Splunk Analytics collaboration (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3161/). Before building a custom tool, it's advised to check whether any of the freely available tools cover your needs.

xtoh_99605

Hi, I don't think I will script it but will definitely check out the free tools! Thanks!

tmsh list

xtoh_99605

Hi, I don't think I will script it but will definitely check out the free tools! Thanks!

• Hi, Thanks for the answer. Will look into Netbrain or we need to come up with another solution.