Forum Discussion

Sebastien_Paque
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 23, 2014
Solved

Help configuring NAT64 on a BIG-IP LTM

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to implement NAT64 in our network in order for IPv6 only clients can reach our IPv4 only servers. Being relatively new to the product, I have had a bit of difficulty with the details in the configuration. I have got a setup where I can ping the Self IPs of the device but could not achieve any sort of translation. I have also found that to enable NAT64, a CG-NAT module is required on the BIG-IP which we do not have. My supervisor however said that they had done it before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sebastien

• You may need to run packet captures at this point to determine why the page isn't loading:

tcpdump -nni 0.0:n -s0 host 2001:b3e:45f1:6121::7 (client side)

tcpdump -nni 0.0:n -s0 host 192.168.1.7 (server side)

You can have pool members or virtual servers specifying all ports, but your pool member can't be monitored on all ports. The monitor must be specific to a certain protocol/port. If this is an HTTP connection only, then it's best to have your pool member configured with port 80.

22 Replies

• Would the approach be any different if I am using internal and external VLANs? Because I am switching from VLAN 2001 to VLAN 2000 and it is the only way I will be able to reach the IPv4 server. I have been trying some stuff around and when I create a pool, it does not work because it says that the pool members are down (192.168.1.7?).

• Do you have IPv4 self IP addresses defined? I had assumed that you did based on the diagram. The pool member health checking would be done from those IPv4 self IP addresses. If none exist then I'm not sure this would work.

• As it stands, I have:

Self IP on left interface:

192.168.2.2/28              using external VLAN
                                2001:b3e:45f1:6121::3/64    using external VLAN

Self IP on right interface:

192.168.1.1/28              using internal VLAN

Virtual Server on left interface:

2001:b3e:45f1:6121::/96
                                SNAT: Automap

IPv4 Gateway:

SNAT:

Translation: Automap
                                Origin: Address list: 192.168.1.7
                                VLANs: All

License:

Local Traffic Manager, 1600 Enterprise(Perpetual)
    Maximum Compression
    ADD SSL MAX TPS
    ADD LTM MODULE
    ADD DNS EXPRESS
    ADD IPV6 GATEWAY
    ADD RATE SHAPING
    ADD RAMCACHE
    50 MBPS COMPRESSION
    SSL 500 TPS Per Core
    ADD CLIENT AUTHENTICATION
    ADD SSL CMP
    ADD ROUTING BUNDLE

• It looks like your SNAT is the problem. Delete the SNAT and then set Source Address Translation in your virtual server to "Auto Map".

Cory_50405
      Icon for Noctilucent rankNoctilucent
      Also ensure that address translation is enabled on your virtual server.
  • Hello again,

Thank you for your response, I was in a meeting Friday afternoon and busy this morning. I have had time to look through my configuration and set it up the way you suggested.

I have removed the SNAT and setup the VS to use Automap and ticked address translation. I have a pool associated with the VS which contains the 192.168.1.7:0 address. I have also configured the VS to have a static IPv6 address 2001:b3e:45f1:6121::7 like in your example. I can ping from the F5 console to 192.168.1.7 and to 2001:b3e:45f1:6121::1.

When I type the [2001:b3e:45f1:6121::7] in my browser, I still do not get my test webpage from the server (at 192.168.1.7). Any suggestions why that is ?

Also, my default route is IPv4 and points to 192.168.2.1.

Sebastien_Paque
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
      Self IP on left interface: 192.168.2.2/28 using external VLAN 2001:b3e:45f1:6121::3/64 using external VLAN Self IP on right interface: 192.168.1.1/28 using internal VLAN
  • Sebastien,

Your pool member looks to be using a destination port of 0. Should this be 80 or 443?

• I have changed it to port 80 for http and it became available (Thank you!). However, when inserting the IPv6 address in my browser, I still don't see the web page on the server 192.168.1.7.

Also, why could I not put all ports when assigning pool members or a VS ?

• Never mind my last comment, it was able to do the trick! I had an iRule I forgot to remove on the VS. I am reaching the server no problem now.

Do you know how different it would be to create actual NAT64 instead of only balancing it ?

Thank you so much for your help!

Cory_50405
      Icon for Noctilucent rankNoctilucent
      I've not used NAT64. I think it's mainly for CGNAT scenarios which we aren't licensed for: http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_ltm/manuals/product/cgn-implementations-11-3-0/2.html Glad to hear your setup is working now.
  • You may need to run packet captures at this point to determine why the page isn't loading:

tcpdump -nni 0.0:n -s0 host 2001:b3e:45f1:6121::7 (client side)

tcpdump -nni 0.0:n -s0 host 192.168.1.7 (server side)

You can have pool members or virtual servers specifying all ports, but your pool member can't be monitored on all ports. The monitor must be specific to a certain protocol/port. If this is an HTTP connection only, then it's best to have your pool member configured with port 80.