Jun 12, 2003

Hw do I save configurations on a bigip?

I can see the stuff in ConfigSync. But how does that relate to:

bigpipe base save
and
bigpipe save

It would appear that
ITCMSystem.ConfigSync.save_configuration
with the right flag will save either, but on the command line version the filename is different. Can I ommit the filename to use the default?

If I don't specify a fully qualified path, will it go in /config?

8 Replies

Gary_Chen_31612
    Historic F5 Account
    The invokation of the method will create a ucs file with the filename your specify. The ucs file will be stored in /usr/local/ucs subdirectory on your BIG-IP system. If you want to save the configuration as BIGIP system boot copy, save it as last_boot.ucs

Note: The method input for filename does not need to include the /usr/local/ucs.

Gary Chen
  • Hmm. Those two replies made me more confused.

bigpipe base save and bigpipe save will create the /config/bigip.conf and /config/bigip_base.conf files. bigpipe config save will create the ucs files.

From your answers it's not clear what the iControl equivalents are.

Please eleborate.

Thanks
    Gary_Chen_31612
    Historic F5 Account
    The iControl method in focus here should actually be considered as the equivalence of the bigpipe command below,
      b config save filename

Thus, a filename input is required. As for the save mode, SAVE_COMMON should be equating to
        b base save and SAVE_FULL should be equating to
          b save

Gary Chen
          Gary_Chen_31612
          Historic F5 Account
          An input for the filename is required.

For an example, you would call the method this way,

save_configuration("myConfig.ucs", 0) 

where 
           filename: myConfig.ucs 
           0: the save mode.

Please note that b base save and b save all save the configuration into bigip_base.conf and bigip.conf in /config on BIGIP.

ITCMSystem.ConfigSync:save_configuration archives the configuration into a specified filename located in /usr/local/ucs on BIG-IP.
          Gary_Chen_31612
          Historic F5 Account
          There is no exact equivalence of iControl API methods to perform b save and b base save commands as in BIG-IP CLI.

However, I would recommend that you try the following steps in iControl to achieve the update of bigip_base.conf and bigip.conf via the aforementioned CLI commands,

1. Invoke ITCMSystem.ConfigSync:save_configuration() with a specified filename and save_mode.

2. Invoke ITCMSystem.ConfigSync:load_configuration() with the filename specified.

Gary Chen
          Gary_Chen_31612
          Historic F5 Account
          I hope this clarifys the confusion.

1. ITCMSystem.ConfigSync:save_configuration is the equivalence of b config save filename

2. The save mode of the method plays a key role in determinging what configuration in BIG-IP memory will be archived. save_common archives the configuration that is equivalent to the execution of b base save. save_full archives the configuration that is equivalent to the execution of b save.

3. There is no ucs file created on BIG-IP when you execute b base saveor b save. For details, please refer to the BIG-IP references on the command difference for b base save, b save and b config save filename

Gary Chen
          Gary_Chen_31612
          Historic F5 Account
          Michel,

You don't need to call the load_configuration method in iControl after the save_configuration is called. I think I know what you're confused about my previous answer now. A clear answer would be that the iControl save_configuration not only automatically saves the configuration to bigip.conf and bigip_base.conf in /config on BIG-IP, but it also creates a ucs file in /usr/local/ucs on BIG-IP.

Gary Chen
        • Argh! Let's start with the basic questions:

What is the equivalent of 'bigpipe save' in iControl? I.e. how do I code the exact equivalent?

What is the equivalent of 'bigpipe base save' in iControl? I.e. how do I code the exact equivalent?

I probably got everything confused by mentioning save_confiuration...