Forum Discussion

Networker_66674
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Mar 16, 2011

ICMP Blues

Hi All,

I am running version 10.2 and ran into an issue where ICMP is not working correctly Here is the setup I just recently deployed a ADC where the Primary and Secondary ADC is connected to VLANX on a newly constructed Cisco Switch Router. When initiating pings from the ADC to the HSRP shared address of VLANx or to any address on VLANx, or to addresses to VLAN Y and z, there is no response. However, if I initiate a ping from the switch on VLAN X, Y and Z I recieve a response. Also the ADCs can ping ping each other.

I performed some sniffer traces but for some reason I can't see how the packets are being ignored which they are.

Networker

16 Replies

• Hi Networker,

I can't tell you if it's going to cause an outage, since I don't how you have configured that switch router, but in my experience I have not seen it cause a problem.

Bhattman
  • HOLLY CRAP!!! YOUR DA MAN!!! PINGS are now coming accross. THANK YOU THANK YOU Bhattman.

Does this issue mean there is a problem with the F5? Like a bug or something?

Networker
  • Hi Networker,

Glad to be of assistance. Hopefully this proves to be stable ongoing.

Not sure if you can classify this as a bug. I mean if it was a bug then Cisco wouldn't have came out with this command so obviously it's not only addressing something that F5 utilizes but other devices. However, I recommend talking with Cisco TAC or your SE to see the long term implications in your environment.

Glad to be of help

Bhattman

• Excellent. I am going to do that. Now I can get some sleep.

Thank you again Bhattman

Cheers,

Networker
  • Hi Networker,

I did a Google on vPC Peer Gateway and came upon an article that you will find an excellent blog explanation on vPC peer-gateway and HSRP.

http://www.jeremyfilliben.com/2010/08/hsrp-vpc-and-vpc-peer-gateway-command.html

Here are one more article blog on vPC

http://bradhedlund.com/2010/12/16/routing-over-nexus-7000-vpc-peer-link-yes-and-no/

Bhattman