Forum Discussion

infra_netteam_O
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Aug 18, 2014

identify unused objects in a config (bigIP.conf)

Hello,

When a config is changed often, and by different teams, it is not unusual that services do not get removed properly.

How to know whether a node is not a member of a pool? If a certificate file is not used by an SSL profile? If a pool is not used by a virtual server? If a VLAN is never designated by VS or pool?

Is there any tool you know to identify "useless" or obsolete data in a config.

thank you very much

Alberto

14 Replies

• I know Enterprise manager can report on this. The problem for us is we use layer 7 load balancing using iRules with internal or external data groups and this makes those pools look like orphans. The clean-up method I use for SSL certs, profiles and nodes, irules and data groups is to delete all. Any object that’s that are used and part of another configuration object deleted! Example is a node that’s in a pool won't be deleted. I can't do this with my pools because it would delete about 2000 pools since they are only referenced out of a data group string instead of a virtual.

• Man, I wish. We do this, but it is not easy. We have written a custom parsing routine which puts everything in a database. Then we run SQL queries against the database to find "unused" objects. The parsing logic is very complex, and subject to breaking periodically. If you can do this with an F5-tool, use that. Trying to write your own is a PITA.
  • iHealth can do this as well, and it's free with a support contract. The problems outlined by afedden are still applicable.

mimlo_61970
      Icon for Cumulonimbus rankCumulonimbus
      Its in the Diagnostics, "The configuration may contain unused objects " In my example it lists Unused Monitors, unused pools.
      JBriere_176279
      I uploaded a Qkview and tried every options possible in Ihealth and couldnt find where to find unused objects. The network map shows enabled and disabled objects but cant find a reference to unused objects. Anybody knows where this information is ?
      Protectron_3914
      I just found it, i had so many objects in there that i couldnt believe this information was valid when i saw it first. Thanks :)
  • Guys,

Any idea based on which criteria iHealth define all the unused objects? Based on the traffic stat?

Thanks, Darshan

• Unused as in not referenced in the configuration anywhere, not unused as in there is no traffic to it.

swo0sh_gt_13163
      Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
      Hey Mimlo, Yes, I realized the fact after combating with iHealth for quite sometime now. Thanks for the reply mate. Cheers! Darshan
    THi

F5 has changed iHealth site this Fall. The network map is no longer there. There is something called Config Explorer. I cannot find unused objects anymore... :o(

• Go to network map and search for particular VIP IP or pool member will show you where it is mapped

• Go to network map and search for particular VIP IP or pool member will show you where it is mapped