Forum Discussion

zafer
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Mar 19, 2008

irule editor - linux

i want use editor under linux, could you please suggest me any editor, can i compile source code on linux? does anybody has source code for linux?

regards

zafer

28 Replies

• Hoolio,

Thank you for your response and sorry to dwell on this a bit more but I do feel strongly enough to advocate the need. In the end I hope it helps F5 to continue to lock in it's market dominance.

In my humble opinion "iRule Editor" definitely classifies as an F5 product. According to "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_%28business%29" a product is a "thing produced by labor or effort" and as far as I can tell the iRule Editor was produced by F5 staff probably at least partially while they were in the office. So from my view point it is an F5 product and therefore should be managed by the F5 product team. Joe Pruitt and Matt Cauthorn has helped the product mgmt team a lot by determining a large portion of a feature set and at this point is how can you appeal to a broader audience (Mac and Linux users).

My apologies to Joe Pruitt and Matt Cauthorn if I have insulted them. That is not my intent at all. I am sure they have put a lot of work into the product and should be recruited to lead the team to build a great tool we can all enjoy and feel we can't live without. I am sure people like them is why F5 is doing so well. They saw the need and tried to fill it. The community that is here begging for a better tool only enforces that there is in deed a need.

-- Yepher

• 1. I'm not much of a Python coder: Can you please provide the command?

/usr/bin/python --version

Python 2.6.5

/usr/bin/vim.gnome --version

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Apr 16 2010 12:40:58)

Included patches: 1-330

Compiled by buildd@

Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):

+arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent

+clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments

+cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs +dnd -ebcdic

+emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path

+float +folding -footer +fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand

+jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap

+menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape +mouse_dec +mouse_gpm

-mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse +mouse_xterm +multi_byte

+multi_lang -mzscheme +netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra +perl +postscript

+printer +profile +python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft +ruby +scrollbind

+signs +smartindent -sniff +startuptime +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax

+tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white +tcl +terminfo +termresponse

+textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual

+visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup

+X11 -xfontset +xim +xsmp_interact +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save

system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"

user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"

user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"

system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"

user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"

system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim"

fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"

Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -D_REENTRANT -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/directfb -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -DORBIT2=1 -pthread -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/libgnomeui-2.0 -I/usr/include/libart-2.0 -I/usr/include/gconf/2 -I/usr/include/gnome-keyring-1 -I/usr/include/libgnome-2.0 -I/usr/include/libbonoboui-2.0 -I/usr/include/libgnomecanvas-2.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/gnome-vfs-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/include -I/usr/include/orbit-2.0 -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/libbonobo-2.0 -I/usr/include/bonobo-activation-2.0 -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gail-1.0 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/directfb -I/usr/include/libpng12 -Wall -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DDEBIAN -fstack-protector -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/lib/perl/5.10/CORE -I/usr/include/python2.6 -pthread -I/usr/include/tcl8.4 -D_REENTRANT=1 -D_THREAD_SAFE=1 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux

Linking: gcc -L. -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic -Wl,-E -Wl,--as-needed -o vim -pthread -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lcairo -lgio-2.0 -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lglib-2.0 -lgnomeui-2 -lbonoboui-2 -lgnomevfs-2 -lgnomecanvas-2 -lgnome-2 -lpopt -lbonobo-2 -lbonobo-activation -lORBit-2 -lart_lgpl_2 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lcairo -lgio-2.0 -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgconf-2 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lglib-2.0 -lXt -lncurses -lselinux -lacl -lgpm -Wl,-E -fstack-protector -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib/perl/5.10/CORE -lperl -L/usr/lib/python2.6/config -lpython2.6 -lutil -Xlinker -export-dynamic -Wl,-O1 -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -L/usr/lib -ltcl8.4 -lieee -lruby1.8 -lrt -lm

So the same version of Python - What one would expect of the OS.

-Jie

• Jie: Just got back into town, sorry for the delay. Can you try this please? Hoping to help you figure this out - I've never seen this error...

1) Fire up vim

2) Type this in command mode. Each command is a stand alone that should produce some output.

:py import sys; print sys.version
    :py import pycontrol.pycontrol as pc
    :py print pc.__version__

After that, if you can post the output I'd appreciate it.

-Matt
  • Matt,

I am willing to give it a go on the mac. I am a recent convert to Macs, but I am trying very hard to make it work in the native environment rather than standing up a VM to host a hand ful of utilities. I have tried to use WINE on my mac to get this working, but no joy. anything above dot net 2.0 does not install with the WineSkin for Macs, and I get quite a few errors with mono and dot net 2.0. I have attached some of the Wineskin errors that I am getting, but if there is a way to get something similar with VIM and Python, I am a willing volunteer.

CarlB

• Reading through these posts, I thought there might be value in mentioning the "It's all text" plug-in for Mozilla Firefox. It's not quite as elegant as a direct connection with pycontrol, but if you're using the F5 Web UI and tired of dealing with the text area box to edit iRules, you can install "It's all text" as an FF plug-in and then click the little round edit button next to the iRule text area and have the iRule come up in any text editor of your choice, including gVim (which is what I use on the Mac). And because iRules are essentially TCL, you can also get syntax highlighting. Once you're done with your edits, do a traditional save (:wq in vim/gVim) and the contents are written back to the text area box, ready for updating. Just thought I'd point it out as a mid-way solution for using vim to edit iRules w/o installing Python, etc.
  • If you're looking at solutions for running Windows apps natively on a Mac, you might want to look at CrossOver from Code Weavers (http://www.codeweavers.com/).

It's essentially WINE in a commercial package (~$40) but MUCH easier to use, and it tends to actually work.

Aaron_Forster_3
    Historic F5 Account
    I wrote one in Java. Not quite as full featured as iRuler yet but it's getting decent. Syntax highlighting, code completion, in-editor documentation and more. https://devcentral.f5.com/Community/GroupDetails/tabid/1082223/asg/50/aft/2164400/showtab/groupforums/Default.aspx
  • @Remington - Tried Crossover, no Joy.

I DO however have it working on my mac using the latest version of Wine, and Winebottler.

If anyone is interested, I can make a complete package, on 2 conditions:

1) It needs .net 2.0, winebottler will allow me to incorporate the libraries in the app file, but I am unsure about licensing / EULA.

2) It's going to be big, all static linked and libincluded, so I will need to put it somewhere.

BR

Jan