Forum Discussion

Oct 08, 2023
Solved

Modify SSL profiles via REST API

Hi wiz's

I have been spending some time on automating certificate maintenance.

This has brought my attention to this documentation: https://clouddocs.f5.com/api/icontrol-rest/APIRef_tm_ltm_profile_client-ssl.html

In the table descriping "cert", "chain" and "key" it states in the notes that they are depricated and I should use certKeyChain option instead.

However no matter what I construct of calls which makes changes to an already existing clientssl profile (PATCH and PUT) I'm told:

{"code":403,"message":"Operation is not supported on component /ltm/profile/client-ssl.","errorStack":[],"apiError":1}

Example code:

curl -sk -H "X-F5-Auth-Token: $TOKEN" -X PATCH https://$f5/mgmt/tm/ltm/profile/client-ssl/ --header 'Content-Type: application/json' --data-raw '{                  
    "name":"sletmig",                                                                             
    "certKeyChain":[{"name":"default","cert":"hest.dk_2023","key":"hest.dk_2023","chain":"My_CA"}]
}'
{"code":403,"message":"Operation is not supported on component /ltm/profile/client-ssl.","errorStack":[],"apiError":1}

I can make the change via this syntax:

curl -sk -H "X-F5-Auth-Token: $TOKEN" -X PATCH  https://$f5/mgmt/tm/ltm/profile/client-ssl/~Common~sletmig   -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{
  "key":"/Common/hest.dk_2023",
  "cert":"/Common/hest.dk_2023",
  "chain":"/Common/My_CA"
  }'|jq

Do I read the documentation wrong or am I missing something else?

JRahm any hints?

• Hi lnxgeek that's correct, you can't PATCH a collection, just the resources within that collection. From that doc, the methods support are shown one the resource, not the collection:

Resource URI
    /mgmt/tm/ltm/profile/client-ssl/~resource id
    Resource Methods
    OPTIONS, GET, PUT, PATCH, DELETE, POST

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding the issue. Also, check your DM, I sent you something that might be of interest to you, but I'm equally interested in your test feedback if you have the time to check it out.

5 Replies

• Hi lnxgeek that's correct, you can't PATCH a collection, just the resources within that collection. From that doc, the methods support are shown one the resource, not the collection:

Resource URI
    /mgmt/tm/ltm/profile/client-ssl/~resource id
    Resource Methods
    OPTIONS, GET, PUT, PATCH, DELETE, POST

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding the issue. Also, check your DM, I sent you something that might be of interest to you, but I'm equally interested in your test feedback if you have the time to check it out.

• Hi JRahm 

In that context it make sense.

But does that mean that my working example (don't know what to call it 😀) shouldn't be considered deprecated?

I don't want to work down a future dead end 😆

JRahm
        Icon for Admin rankAdmin

What version of TMOS are you running? If you've tested on 17.1.x and it's working, it will go away on BIG-IP. That said, the APIs for BIG-IP Next are different and will connect to Central Manager, not the Next instances directly.