Forum Discussion

ac89live
Icon for Altocumulus rankAltocumulus
Aug 16, 2023
Solved

Moving from Viprion to rseries

Hi

Moving from viprion 2250 to f5os r10600
The current viprion is running with multiple partitions. Each partition has different route domain.
I'd like to know if it is possible to create only one tenant and still be using one f5 devided into partitions, just like what we're doing today?
Or must we create a tenant for each partition?

Also we have OSPF and EBGP configuration in imish.
How should we move these configuration to the F5OS rseries device?
Is it in the f5os level or per tenant? Is there a document for this?

Thanks

• You can still use exactly the same config if you wish ie partitions/RDs on a single tenant. Present all of the VLANs to the tenant and allocate them to the RDs as before.

It is your choice how to migrate these - you can do it all together, as a 'big bang' which is fast and easy but risky, or move them one RD at a time, or even one application at a time. It all depends on your own risk appetite. In PS we do these migrations all the time, I always make sure i have ways to check whether things are working, the current status, etc. And get buy-in from the rest of the business about how to migrate ie tell them about the risk, get them to decide and/or agree. Expect minor issues such as monitors, firewall rules etc

6 Replies

• You can still use exactly the same config if you wish ie partitions/RDs on a single tenant. Present all of the VLANs to the tenant and allocate them to the RDs as before.

It is your choice how to migrate these - you can do it all together, as a 'big bang' which is fast and easy but risky, or move them one RD at a time, or even one application at a time. It all depends on your own risk appetite. In PS we do these migrations all the time, I always make sure i have ways to check whether things are working, the current status, etc. And get buy-in from the rest of the business about how to migrate ie tell them about the risk, get them to decide and/or agree. Expect minor issues such as monitors, firewall rules etc

ac89live
      Icon for Altocumulus rankAltocumulus

Thank you for the detailed answer.

Regaridng the BGP/OSPF imish configration, So from your answer they also move under the tenant, and no in the F5OS level, correct?

PeteWhite
        Icon for Employee rankEmployee

correct - keep the BIG-IP config as-is - you can migrate with UCS. If you are migrating with big-bang then you do the config migration a few days before, then for the traffic migration you disconnect the old devices and connect the new ones. Check that everything comes up at the network level ie routing etc and then check individual services.