Forum Discussion

Wouter_de_Bruin
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jun 22, 2007

Persistence from proxy servers

I have an interseting (For me anyway!) challenge:

We have 3 proxy servers which are used to access the internal websites of the company.

The websites in turn are run on 3 Webservers behind the proxies. This means that a client connection is set up to a proxy server (Load balanced) and from the proxy server it gets load balanced to one of the web servers.

On the web server VIP we have source address persistence and predictive load balancing set up. What sometimes happens is that after a reload of the web servers the persistence for all three proxies end up on one of the web servers. Obviously not a good thing, as you could imagine. No load balancing anymore.

Is there a way that I can create an I-rule to fix this persistence problem. I have thought of TCP source port persistence, but I don't know if this is a good idea.

Another one is cookie persistence, but I still need to convince the proxy administrators that they'll be receiving a cookie from the F-5.

All insights into how I can fix this will be really appreciated.

Wouter

3 Replies

Deb_Allen_18
    Historic F5 Account
    Well, unfortunately "source port persistence" is a misnomer: All connections from the same client will use a unique source port, so you can't accomplish session persistence across multiple connections by tracking the source port.

I could see that if there was at any point only one webserver up and continuous traffic through the proxies, all traffic would continue to persist to that server even after the others were brought online, regardless of LB method chosen.

You could persist on an existing cookie value or other persistent unique value that is present in each request, but for a proxy that might be a bit of a crap shoot.

Other than a different persistence scheme, I think your only option might be to clear some or all proxy server connections to the overloaded pool member after the servers are recycled, then new traffic should then re-distribute (Predictive LB method should be fine.)

You can use the bigpipe command at the command line or in the GUI console:
    bigpipe conn client  delete
    or
    bigpipe conn destination  delete
    or
    bigpipe conn client  destination  delete
    To minimize the chances of overloading a single server, I'd recommend only recycling one at a time, then selectively deleting some persistence entries as above.

HTH

/deb
    Deb_Allen_18
    Historic F5 Account
    A few suggestions from my colleagues came up over lunch (yeah, I know, I never get a break!)

First one was to force the one pool member DOWN then back UP almost immediately, which would have the same effect as the 2nd bigpipe command above, but you could do it in the GUI.

Next was the revelation that we now have bigpipe commands specific to killing the persistence entries rather than the connections themselves:
    bigpipe persist node  delete
    or
    bigpipe persist pool  node  delete
    or
    bigpipe persist all  delete

HTH

/deb
  • Thanks for the advice.

Breaking persistence on the overloaded webserver is the way we solve it already. This is only temporary, however. I have found a cookie in the reply from the webserver to the proxy -> client. This cookie contains user-unique information which we will be using to persist with. This provides a much more granular persistence and eventually load balancing and this is what we were looking for.

As far as I am concerned; Problem solved!

Wouter de Bruin