Forum Discussion

Walter_Kacynski
Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
Feb 05, 2015

PHP and session variable substitution

I want to evaluate the content of a session variable during logon page processing. session.server.landinguri=/?pw=0

This doesn't work

$landingUri = '%{session.server.landinguri}';
    $pos = strpos($landingUri, 'pw');
    if ($pos !== false) { ?>
        true

This works!

$landingUri = '/?pw=0';
    $pos = strpos($landingUri, 'pw');
    if ($pos !== false) { ?>
        true

Does anyone know how APM and PHP interact that would cause this problem? I assume that there is an issue with how special characters from the session variable are substituted during runtime. I have tried using double quotes with no luck.

3 Replies

• In my experience of trying to do this, what I think is going on is this...

• Make customization including session variable
      $landingUri = '%{session.server.landinguri}';
    • PHP executes when page is accessed, setting landingUri to the string
      %{session.server.landinguri}
    • As the processed HTML goes down the pipe to the client after PHP has executed, APM rewrites
      to the
      /?pw=0
      (or whatever the value should be).
      • So if you were to
        echo
        the variable in PHP, the resulting HTML from the PHP perspective would be
        , but further down the line, APM rewrites that within the HTML to the actual value.

All that to say, when you do the

strpos
    , it's testing against the value
    , not the expected value
    /?pw=0

For me, the only way to overcome this kind of thing was to do testing within javascript instead, which may not be feasible depending on what you want to do.

Another option might be to use a policy agent event in the VPE to do some work and set a custom session variable you want to echo on the page and then use that instead.

• Hey Walter,

I have been able to reproduce the issue you describe but I cannot find any reason it will not work as expected. Can you give a little bit of insight into what you are trying to do and maybe we can help with a workaround?

-Seth

• Hmm, interesting, I would have thought the PHP and APM process the page at the same time or that APM ran first and then PHP second so that you have the full power of server side logic at your disposal.

I want to be able to tell where the login page came from an external system so I'm using a query string to identify the original system. I want to use this to display a success or failure message on the banner of my login page.

This can be done client side in JavaScript, but logically it's easier to write in PHP when the HTML can be turned on or off. I'll just get with my JavaScript development team to write up the necessary code.

Thanks for the prompt replies.