Forum Discussion

Taylor77_133376
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 10, 2013

Pool round-robin load balancing not balanced

I have a simple pool created with 4 Linux web servers in it. (running version 10.2.1) Two of the webservers are physical machines, and two are virtual.

I have selected round-robin as the load-balancing method, disabled priority group activation, and the ratios for each member in the group is set to 1, connection limit for each member is set to zero.

Whenever I look at the statistics, the physical servers are getting about 6 to 8 times the connections of the virtual machines.

The physical machines do have more memory then the virtual machines, but I've verified the virtual machines have plenty of free memory available, and the load average is roughly the same across all the servers.

So I have no idea why the Virtual Machines have such a low connection count as compared to the physical machines. I've checked the apache configs and made sure the number of servers, threads, etc are set to be the same across all machines.

Any clues or things I should check for to verify the round-robin is working as expected, or is this a bug or expected behavior?

Thanks,

21 Replies

• Sys::Hardware
    Chassis Fan Status
      Index  Status  Fan Speed(rpm)
      1      up      9926
      2      up      10546
      3      up      9926

Chassis Information
      Maximum MAC Count  2
      Registration Key   -

Chassis Power Supply Status
      Index  Status
      1      up
      2      up

Chassis Temperature Status
      Index  Temp(degC)  Location
      1      36          Air Inlet

CPU Status
      Index  Temp(degC)  Fan Speed(rpm)
      1      46          10546

Hardware Version Information
      Name        cn0
      Type        crypto
      Model       Cavium NITROX-PX
      Parameters  --          --
                  version     CNPx-MC-SSL-MAIN-0013

Name        cpld
      Type        pic
      Model       F5 cpld
                  version     0x13

Name        cpus
      Type        base-board
      Model       Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2160  @ 1.80GHz
                  cache size  1024 KB
                  cores       2  (cores/cpu:2)
                  cpu MHz     1800.108

Platform
      Name           BIG-IP 1600
      BIOS Revision  F5 Platform: C102 OBJ-0332-01 BIOS (build: 130) Date: 12/28/09

System Information
      Type                       C102

Joe_M
      What is the uptime on the device?
      Joe_M
      There are some known issues with uptime. Non with round robin that I am familiar with but doing a reboot wouldn't hurt. Also, at some point, I would definitely recommend upgrading to 10.2.4 with the latest Hotfix.
  • OK, thanks, so it's a CMP system. Are we talking about a low number of connections or not?

• OK, so the system distributes connections across the two TMMs running (one per core) so you'd be down to 75/100 per TMM. Even if one started the Pool RR allocation at Pool Member 1 and the other at 3 you should still end up with a fairly even spread I'd say. That being the case I'm a bit stuck.

• Are the pool members 37/38/39/42 all separate Linux servers? Some on hardware and some vmware?

If you watch a single connection serverside with tcpdump to the hardware version and do the same with a connection the vmware server is the behaviour of the connection the same?

Taylor77_133376
      Yes, seperate linux servers, 2 physical, 2 virtual. TCPdump looks about the same. One thing I notice, is from the f5, pings to the physical boxes take about half the time (averaged over several pings) as compared to pings to the virtual servers.