Forum Discussion

tankovich_14368
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jun 30, 2015

Redirect to pool to bypass SSL offloading for Exchange Hybrid setup - syntax issue(s)

Hello DevCentral Community,

We recently configured a hybrid setup between Exchange2010 and O365 but we're running into issues migrating mailboxes between the two environments. After some googling and testing various 'solutions' we've narrowed down the cause. The on-prem Exchange2010 environment is behind the F5 and was setup via iApp (working great!) - when migrating a mailbox O365 connects to on-prem via the CAS MRSProxy in EWS: the issue with this is that this particular connection cannot (per MS documentation) be SSL offloaded and must make a connection directly to one of the CAS servers.

I am trying to modify the current OWA redirect iRule to looks for traffic that's trying to hit the mrsproxy.svc and directs it directly to the CAS pool but I'm running into syntax issues:

Error: line 1: [wrong args] [when HTTP_REQUEST

when HTTP_REQUEST {
   if {switch -glob [string tolower [HTTP::uri]]} {
    "/ews/mrsproxy.svc"
    SSL::enable serverside
    pool exchange2010_cas_pool
    CACHE::disable
    return
    }

}   elseif { ([HTTP::uri] == "/") } {
        HTTP::redirect https://[HTTP::host]/owa/

}    

This is my first attempt at creating an iRule and I'm not having much luck with the syntax (and possibly other things). Could someone take a look and offer advice on how to fix this - essentially the goal is anything hitting the /ews/mrsproxy.svc goes to CAS pool directly and all other traffic follows the standard iApp behaviour to redirect (the elseif statement).

Thanks!

6 Replies

mikeshimkus_111
    Historic F5 Account

Hi, are you deploying all of your Exchange services on one virtual server? If so, you should be editing the combined iRule, not the redirect iRule. I would also think that since you deployed SSL offload, you don't have a server SSL profile assigned to your VIP so SSL::enable won't work. If you want to offload SSL, what you'll probably need to do is:

• Deploy the iApp using SSL bridging
    • Disable strictness
    • Create a new pool on port 443 for MRS proxy
    • Modify your existing pools to use port 80
    • Edit your combined pool iRule to look like the rule below.

Another option might be to point Office 365 to a different FQDN for migration, and do a separate, SSL bridging deployment at that IP address.

when HTTP_REQUEST {
     switch -glob -- [string tolower [HTTP::path]] {
          "/microsoft-server-activesync*" {
               TCP::idletime 1800
               SSL::disable
               pool /Common/exchange_2013.app/exchange_2013_as_pool3            
               return
          }
          "/owa*" {
               if { [HTTP::header exists "Accept-Encoding"] } {
                    HTTP::header remove "Accept-Encoding"
               }
               pool /Common/exchange_2013.app/exchange_2013_owa_pool3           
               return
          }
          "/ews/mrsproxy.svc"
          pool my_mrs_pool
          return
     }
     "/ews*" {
          pool /Common/exchange_2013.app/exchange_2013_oa_pool3            
          return
     }
     "/ecp*" {
          if { [HTTP::header exists "Accept-Encoding"] } {
               HTTP::header remove "Accept-Encoding"
          }
          return
     }
     "/oab*" {
          persist none
          return
     }
     "/rpc/rpcproxy.dll*" {
          return
     }
     "/autodiscover*" {
          pool /Common/exchange_2013.app/exchange_2013_ad_pool3
          persist none
          return
     }
     default {
           This final section takes all traffic that has not otherwise
           been accounted for and sends it to the pool for Outlook Web
           App

}

} }

• Thank you for your reply mikeshimkus!

You are correct about the iRule: it should be combined iRule.

Could I just insert this into the current combined iRule without reconfiguring the iApp?

}
          "/ews/mrsproxy.svc"
          pool my_mrs_pool
          return
     }

As you predicted the iApp currently is setup to 'SSL Offload' but looking at the clients CAS servers it's not enabled for EWS.

mikeshimkus_111
    Historic F5 Account

I don't understand-SSL offload is not enabled for EWS?

You can't simply add those lines to the iRule. The virtual server and pool members must be correctly configured to do server-side SSL.

• Just wanted to add that it's possible to use a mixture of SSL Bridging and SSL Offloading using two Exchange iApps and an iRule with the "virtual" command. Maintain your original SSL Offload Exchange iApp and create a second iApp with a dummy VIP that does the reverse (converts exchange SSL 443 services to unencrypted port 80). Amazingly, the Exchange iApp supports this unusual "Reverse SSL Offloading" setup by allowing you to select "Unencrypted" and then "SSL-Bridging" deployment options. For Hybrid Exchange, you only need EWS and Autodiscover services exposed to port 80 on a dummy (unreachable) IP address. Now add an iRule to the original iApp that diverts all requests for "/EWS/mrsproxy.svc" to the virtual server created by the "Reverse SSL Offloading" iApp. This also allows you to easily configure a separate pool of servers for mailbox migration tasks. This was the simplest and most efficient technique I could find to support Hybrid Exchange.

• This only becomes an issue for SSL Offload not SSL Bridging. We need to tell the F5 to use SSL on the backend between the F5 & cas servers for /ews/mrsproxy.svc. First create a pool that contains all the cas servers on port 443. Next modify the existing exchange https vip to include a server-ssl profile. Finally, modify the combined/pool selector rule as follows:

Code
    when HTTP_REQUEST {
        SSL::disable serverside
        switch -glob -- [string tolower [HTTP::path]] {
            "/ews/mrsproxy.svc" {
                 Exchange Web Services ==> use 443 cas server pool and enable server ssl for o365 mailbox moves.
                if { [HTTP::header exists "APM_session"] } {
                    persist uie [HTTP::header "APM_session"] 7200
                } else {
                    persist source_addr
                }
                pool /Common/Exch2010_ssl_pool
                SSL::enable serverside
            COMPRESS::disable
                return
    }

This iRule disables serverside SSL for all http requests, then selectively enables serverside SSL for requests to the URI: "/ews/mrsproxy.svc". It then selects the new ssl/443 pool created earlier.

Note: there will be some outage/impact for new connections between adding the serverside ssl profile & modifying the iRule to disable serverside ssl on all other connections.

Damien_Solodow_
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

Thread necromancy!

Should the block above go in the iRule before or after the existing "/ews*" section?