Forum Discussion

Darius44
Icon for Altocumulus rankAltocumulus
Nov 10, 2023
Solved

Regex issue

Hello,

I am stuck on trying to find out how to match some parameters in a WAF request using regex wildcard

The parameters that I want to match are int the form of amp;arg20=something where the arg20 can be anything.

The repetitive part that I want to match with the regex is amp; and I want to match multiple times because it appears multiple times in the query string

This is the request 

GET /human.aspx?r=2900376326&arg20=dssdds&arg21=aaa HTTP/1.1

I want to match the 2 parameters amp;arg20 and amp;arg21 with a wildcard which appears as invalid parameters

Parameter LocationQuery String
Parameter Nameamp;arg20
Parameter Valuedssdds
Applied Blocking SettingsBlock Alarm Learn

Parameter LocationQuery String
Parameter Nameamp;arg21
Parameter Valueaaa
Applied Blocking SettingsBlock Alarm Learn

I tried to create multiple wildcard parameters like: amp.* or amp.+?(?==) but the parameters never match and I get the illegal parameter violation

How can this be achieved?

• I somehow got it to work with this solution (not sure why it wasn't working before)

amp;[a-zA-Z0-9]*

8 Replies

• I attahced the wildcard parameter entry that I have created

Darius44
      Icon for Altocumulus rankAltocumulus

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

I tried it and it still doesn't work.

Anyway there is the posibility that the parameters in the request will be amp;Arg02 or amp;arg100 or even amp;Opt10

The regex in my opinnion should match any parameter that starts with this string amp; and then anything else untill the = sign

I also tried it on the regex website and even on the f5 regex tester and the regex appears to be ok but when I try to use it in the policy it fails

• I somehow got it to work with this solution (not sure why it wasn't working before)

amp;[a-zA-Z0-9]*