Forum Discussion

rjordan
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jan 07, 2011

Upgrading BIG IP LTM appliances

We are upgrading our 3400 HA pair to a 6900 HA pair. Currently, we're running 9.4.8, but plan on updating to the latest 10.x version as part of the upgrade procedure. While there is a lot of info about updating the software, I couldn't find much in terms of upgrading to a newer appliance. I imagine I could use UCS to copy the settings over to the new units, but I would have to downgrade the software to 9.4.8. Then, after the UCS was imported, run the upgrade to 10.x.

Does this seem right? If you're aware of any kind of appliance upgrade procedures or best practices, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

13 Replies

• Does anyone know if you can create an HA Redundant pair between unlike hardware model but like version 11.1?

Want to create an HA pair between a 1600 and a 3600, then sync the config, failover to the 3600, break the HA pair and create new HA pair between the two 3600's.

If creating the HA pair between the different models is allowed does anyone see an issue with doing this?
  • If creating the HA pair between the different models is allowed does anyone see an issue with doing this?i understand it is not officially supported but technically possible. the potential issue is that new active unit might not be able to handle connections when failover due to different of platform capacity.
  • I just want to post an update to my progress for others researching this topic.

I have successfully moved the config to new hardware, in order to do this I did the following.

I had a standalone 1600 and a HA pair of 3600's. I broke the HA pair and deleted the necessary groups, trusts and self IPs.

I then created a HA pair "sync-failover" between the 1600 and 1, 3600. They joined perfectly and I then went to the Active unit (1600) and did Config Sync TO Group. Waited about 2 minutes and the sync status came back and said "In Sync".

I thought it was going to be much more difficult than this but it was really was easy.

I disabled the 1.1 internal interface on my new 3600 and broke the HA pair by deleting the same groups, trusts and IPs. I will now schedule a hard cutover and simply disable the interface on the 1600 and enable it on the 3600 and recreate the HA pair on with the standby 3600.

I thought about leaving the 1600 and 3600 in HA mode and then forcing the 1600 to standby and keeping all the stateful information with no outage but choose to do the full cutover instead.