Forum Discussion

ringoseagull_77
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jul 06, 2010

Using image2disk to upgrade 9.4.7 to 10.2

I need to upgrade a pair of 1600s running 9.4.7 in active/stand by mode and have a couple of questions. I chose 10.2 as the latest good release, am happy to use 10.1 if there is good reason to.

To install 10.2 I have the line:

image2disk --instslot=HD1.2 --format=partitions BIGIP-10.2.0.1707.0.iso

1. Am I right in assuming I need to use the 'partitions' option instead of 'volumes' because I need to increase my partition size for 10.2?

2. Are there any other commands I need to run with image2disk? Unfortunately I'm still in the planning stage so have not been through change control to install image2disk and therefore am unable to view the man pages.

3. Would someone be kind enough to paste the man pages here?

Thanks very much.

19 Replies

• Hotfixes are cumulative, so you only need to install the most current one to get all of the fixes.

Aaron
    Hamish
    Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus
    Not that I like flogging dead horses or anything...

But I've just confirmed on a BigIP-3400 system running 9.4.8. It's never run 10.x at all (It's one of my test boxes), and an upgrade to 10.2.1 went in fine without requiring a reformat of the disk... (So far. It's just finished rebooting).

Did anyone ever get any more detail on exactly how to tell if the format is required? (Besides trying it and having it fail of course :)

H
  • Hi All,

I am having a big issue upgrading from 9.4.8 to 10.2.0.

It got upgraded, but I am facing the below issues:

1) I am unable to ping the management IP address and unable to login to the box using the management IP address(both gui and cli). I am able to login to the box using the console login.

2) I have deleted and re-configured the mgmt Ip address, netmask , routing details, but of no use.

3) I am unable to ping the mgmt default gateway also from the f5 box.

4) I can see that the configuration is perfect as it was earlier.

Pls help to get out of this situation.

Great thanks,

Harish
    nathe
    Icon for Cirrocumulus rankCirrocumulus
    Harish

Are you connecting to the f5 on the same subnet as the mgmt interface? If not I'd try to do so. Perhaps connect directly to the physical management interface.

Does this then work?

N
  • Hi all, I am trying to find answer everywhere, but without succes, for question which was there for a once:

"

Can I use image2disk to create the second slot?

Looking at my GUI, there is no "Software Management" section within the "System" section. Is this not available for 9.4.7?

If not can I also use image2disk for this?

"

I will update BIGIP from 9.4.8 to some 10.x.x.x to volume system. But I have no idea if is some command to list existing slots (partitions) and if there is some to creating slots.

Any advice please?

thanks very much
  • Hmm, seems that I found answer for this...command switchboot helps with finding out which partitions I have on my BIGIP.

But I have one more question and it is: Can be problem that I am using trial licence with upgrading to 10.x.x.x version from 9.4.8?

• Can be problem that I am using trial licence with upgrading to 10.x.x.x version from 9.4.8?

that's fine if license's still valid.
  • Thanks, I've succesfuly managed this upgrade also trial version weren't problem. thx