Forum Discussion

DarkSideOfTheQ_
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Nov 20, 2008

Virtual Server multiple service ports

Hello,

I am new to F5 devices and load balancers in general, only having limited exposure to some Foundry devices until now. I am curious about what I've read and seen thus far about creating a virtual server and the ports it will allow connections on. Do I really need to create a new virtual server for each port that I want available or am I overlooking something and creating more work for myself?

Thanks,

DarkSide

35 Replies

• Thanks for your help - same result - it's almost as though no iRules are being applied to this vServer...

• What makes you to go to irule , instead of creating simple Virtual listening on port 443 and 2030. if possible can you paste configs

• Because of this: https://devcentral.f5.com/codeshare?sid=560 - I'm adapting that principle to my problem - which is a long story - but, it looks like if I can't formulate/find an iRule that's up to the task, then I'll resort to individual vServers which is also best practice for a number of reasons anyway.

Joe_Curl_105786

Where are you applying the iRule? It should be on the VIP. Those rules look correct and very similar to what we use here. If it is not being hit, then it does not sound like it has been applied.

benjamin_gate_3

I've gone to Local Traffic > Virtual Servers > click on virtual server name > Resources tab > Manage > and add the iRule

• Because of this: https://devcentral.f5.com/codeshare?sid=560 - I'm adapting that principle to my problem - which is a long story - but, it looks like if I can't formulate/find an iRule that's up to the task, then I'll resort to individual vServers which is also best practice for a number of reasons anyway.

Joe_Curl_105786

Where are you applying the iRule? It should be on the VIP. Those rules look correct and very similar to what we use here. If it is not being hit, then it does not sound like it has been applied.

benjamin_gate
      Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus

I've gone to Local Traffic > Virtual Servers > click on virtual server name > Resources tab > Manage > and add the iRule

• All, I'm attempting to do something similar using an Rule with and a datagroup. We have 4 proxy servers that listen on a myriad of ports. Today I have a bunch of fastl4 VIPs/Pools for each port that the proxies support (Example SSH_VS 10.10.10:22 and SSH_Pool 10.20.10.20:22, 10.20.10.21:22, 10.20.10.23:22, 10.20.10.24:22). I'd like to simplify and make it easy to expand. I'm testing setting up a wildcard VIP that has ports restricted using an iRule/Datagroup. I would also like to have a wildcard pool that contains the 4 proxies. The idea being that a user connects over a port and the VIP will pass the port straight to the proxy. Outside of the items listed in, https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K6018 is there anything other considerations for me to make seeing as these are proxy servers and not your typical web servers?

DG
    ltm data-group internal /Common/DMZ-LAN-Port-DG {
        records {
            FTPS_22 {
                data 22
            }
            FTP_21 {
                data 21
            }
            HTTPS_443 {
                data 443
            }