Forum Discussion

alex_luna_23167
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jun 16, 2017
Solved

ASM Security Events Log File

We have ASM v12.1.2 , and we know that this versión doesnt log locally security events on /var/log/asm, my question is , where security events are logged? , i would think is a DB on my sql, because ...
    Jun 21, 2017

Hello Alex,

Depending upon the type of logging profile you have applied to a certain virtual server, either all requests or illegal requests only will be logged to the Event Logs within mysql db and you can navigate through to 'Security ›› Event Logs : Application : Requests' in the Web GUI.

The decision to not log requests locally to /var/log/asm (local syslog, essentially) was as a result of a change in behavior introduced in 11.6.0 and above versions. This was intentional in order to help improve performance of the ASM in general. Its described in greater detail in K16053 article: https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K16053

Moreover, if you wish to log requests remotely to a Remote Syslog, Splunk or ArcSight, then you can do that by creating a custom Logging Profile with Remote Storage option.