Forum Discussion

Sonny
Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
Aug 23, 2023
Solved

DC failover test via GTM

Trying to get some help..seeing what might be the issue. I have a VS in DC1 and a VS in DC2. I have the GTM configured between both DC1 - 2. When I tested the failover by disabling the VS in DC1, I noticed the DC1 pool member was still online. Thus, traffic never routed to DC2. I checked the listener and monitors...looked good. Yes, I have the CNAME wip. in my DNS. 

Sonny
    Aug 30, 2023

Update: The issue was the GTM monitoring...setting it to the iquery(bigip) would mark it offline. Thus, it was set for icmp. 0n the DC1 pair, 02 didn't have the same CAs as 01. Once I imported the CAs, I was able to set the monitoring to iquery. Works now.

12 Replies

• To add: If I disable the VS in DC2 it does show the wip pool memeber as offline.

• Hi Sonny , 

If you you disable VS1 from virtual server settings in ( Server tab ) , it should give you the " gray " mark beside the this virtual sever in the pool " DC1 Pool member " I mean. 
    The gray color means that you have manually disabled the parent which is VS1 in your Case. 

This should happen if your configure everything well. 

if available with you , you can share the wide ip , Pool , VS , Server , DCs Configurations. 
    you can simulate it in a lab environment and share it. 

> try to disable the DC 1 VS1 Pool member from pool settings , and see if this reflects the wanted results or not. 

Sonny

Yes, I forced the VS1 pool members offline, too...didn't work either. The config is good or VS2 from DC2 wouldn't show it's offline when I disabled it. 

• Does your server in DC1 host only VS1 and no other Virtual servers ? 

If yes , try to disable the whole server ( whatever bigip or Generic host ) 

Sonny

Update: The issue was the GTM monitoring...setting it to the iquery(bigip) would mark it offline. Thus, it was set for icmp. 0n the DC1 pair, 02 didn't have the same CAs as 01. Once I imported the CAs, I was able to set the monitoring to iquery. Works now.